Bass Pro Cohick Half Marathon Recap

We finished our first half marathon of the season!

Sunday’s race started very, very early.

The race was about two hours away and had a 7 a.m. start time. With an extra hour of sleep coming our way, we decided to drive up the morning of the race.  This meant we would need to be up around 3:30 a.m. and leave by 4:15 a.m. This all would have been fine had our alarm clock not been the devil.

Since the clock is supposed to reset itself for daylight savings, we set it for 3 a.m. to give us a little snooze time. When the clock went off at 3 a.m., I stayed in bed for a few minutes before checking my phone and seeing that the clock did not reset itself and it was in fact, 2 a.m. Enter major curse words.

Alarm fail.

I could have went back to sleep except for the fact that the pre-race jitters had already set in and there would be no more sleep for me.

I was ticked, tired and cranky.

We eventually left the house in one piece and arrived at Bass Pro for the start around 6 a.m. where we met up with a friend who was running with us.

Ready to Run!

There were 3,000 runners taking part in the race, but that also included a 5K that started later than the half and full marathons. Total, there were 750 runners who finished the half marathon.

Once the race started, we stuck together long enough for this photo:

And then Allen and my friend were on their way to battle it out for who would beat the other.

Allen takes off!

Since there were no corrals or pacers or any type of real organization as to where to line up for the race, I spent the first two miles passing and being passed (mostly the later). About mile two, a girl ran up by me and wanted to chat, which was cool. I like to make friends. It was her first race and she had gone out too fast and was struggling a bit to find a happy pace. We had a great mile-long chat but then she stopped to walk. My goal was to only walk through aid stations so I kept going.

For the first several miles, we passed through residential areas. My friend’s dad was nice enough to serve as our official race photographer.

I stopped at mile 4 for water and they had sports jelly beans so I took some. I got a burst of energy thanks in part to the jelly beans, in part to some awesome 90s pop music on my shuffle and in part to passing by a café that smelled like bacon and almost calling it quits in favor of breakfast.

We passed through downtown for a nice change of scenery and headed towards the local college.

Randomly, there were about four aid stations between miles 4 and 6. Then, we headed back to residential areas and the aid stations got pretty sketchy. There would be one at a mile and then none for two or three miles. The consistency of them was a little frustrating since I like to depend on aid stations to break up the race.

I felt great through mile 8, where I had a couple more jelly beans, but then I started to wear down a bit. There was a fierce headwind and the second half of the race was primarily a slow uphill grade, followed by very short downhills. Going through the residential areas was tough because we were turning pretty much every block.

Miles 10 through 13 pretty much stunk. I kept stopping to “strech” or “fix my hairband” so that I could pretend I wasn’t really just stopping because I felt like I was going to fall over. My feet also went numb, which I’ve never experienced before in a race. Weird and irritating. I got through the last mile and a half chanting “just 15 more minutes and this will all be over.”

My husband and friend rocked the race, coming in within a minute of each at around 1:55.

I finished in 2:26:54. I’m ok with this time. I didn’t feel like it was my day or my race but I had a good time. Also, my splits were an 11:02 mile the first half and an 11:13 mile the second half, so at least I didn’t slow down as much as I thought I had.  Certainly not as impressive as this though.

After the race was pretty terrible. The jelly beans turned out not to be my friends. If I do this race again I will definitely bring my own gu or go without. My stomach doesn’t care for change. Also, a 2 a.m. wake up caught up with me pretty quick but thanks to the extra hour in the day, I was asleep by 8 p.m. last night.

I’m feeling a little sore today but nothing too bad.

Next up is the White River Half Marathon on Nov. 19 and the Las Vegas Rock N’ Roll Half Marathon on Dec. 4.

Happy running!


3 Responses so far »

  1. 1

    Trista said,

    great job! i hate hills, but you rocked it 🙂

  2. 2

    Great start to your season! I agree, my stomach doesn’t like any new things, either. I’m a big fan of clif shot bloks but everyone knows what works for them

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: